Finally, it comes – the very first date after you two have been chatting online for months.
Great and good your luck!
And to help you get a great impression on her or him, I reveal the top 100 good questions to ask on a first date – for your reference.
Why Prepare for an Engaging First Date Conversation?
Even when you have hundreds of online conversations with her or him, you can still do not know what to ask on the very first offline date.
It makes sense because almost all of us are more confident in front of the screen. Nonetheless, when it comes to face-to-face conversation, especially with the one you date for the first time – I mean who are both straight and familiar in some ways, you might have a cat got your tongue.
Fortunately, you can fix the case with careful preparations in advance. Then, you can spark conversation topics and be more attractive to your partner.
Take notes now:
- Admit you’re nervous and make use of the awkward silence
- Do not show off your guts
- Ask good questions that open large conversations
- Do not tell too many stories to impress her/him
- Share about past relationships, but do not over discuss them
- Do not lie – be sincere and humorous
- Avoid asking about the next date too soon
Good Questions to Ask on a First Date
Offer her/him a drink
It is a good idea to have your first date in a tea/coffee house where you two will have plenty of face-to-face conversations with hot beverages and warm inter-personal feelings.
Then, the very first question to ask is:
- What would you like to drink?
- Do you like a cup of warm coffee?
- Have you arrived at this coffee shop yet?
- I’ve tried the Americano here and it is really good. Do you want to try?
- It is cold today, so do you want a cup of hot chocolate?
Take it easy and ask about her living
It is always recommended not to ask for personal information, but questions about her/his hometown can still set a comfortable tone for more conversation.
- So, are your hometown here or you just moved here to work?
- What is your hometown?
- For real? You come from Oklahoma. One of my friends also is there. What is it like?
- How long have you been working here?
- Do you live near here?
- Do you live near your office/school?
- What do you think about …. city? [The city you two are working in]
- What do you like the most about this city?
- What do you like the least about this city?
- Where in the city do you often go in your free time?
Ask about her major/work
Once you open a conversation about her hometown or current living place, it is natural to step on the school or job topics.
- I bet you move here for a job or for university, right?
- What university are you going to?
- What is your major at the university?
- Biological Sciences? I heard that the subjects are very difficult. Is that real?
- Why did you choose biological sciences?
- My major was Astronomy and Astrophysics. Do you know some interesting facts about Saturn’s rings? …
- What is your job now?
- Why do you choose the job?
- Do you like your job?
- Have you ever suffered from a lack of passion at work?
- How do you recover from that stress?
- How do you get a balance between work and life?
- If you could make a change, what would you do for a job?
- What is your dream job?
- What would you do if had enough money to not need a job?
At this point of the first date conversation, you two might already become more comfortable. Then, you can ask to know more about her/him.
- What do you often do in your free time?
- What are you obsessed with recently?
- When do you feel the most out of place?
- What are you doing to unwind to cheer yourself up?
- Is there anything you never get tired of?
- What is your favorite actor/actress/author/singer, etc.?
- Can you tell me the last movies you are really interested in?
- Which book was the last book you read?
- Which songs do you never get enough of?
- Do you like traveling?
- What was your last summer?
- How many countries have you ever been to?
- What amazing journeys have you involved in so far?
- What is your perfect vacation: in the luxury resort or in natural places of interest?
- Do you like cooking?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- What is your favorite coffee shop?
- Do you want to try new foods or drinks?
- I know a very delicious restaurant, can I invite you there next time?
- What skills or hobbies do you always want to try?
Know more about herself/himself
Try to know more about her with some good questions to ask on a first date as follows. If she is happy to answer, I bet you have a good chance for the second date!
- Can you share some more about yourself?
- If you can give yourself a nickname, what would you want me to call you?
- Who is your kind of people?
- Are there assumptions people often make wrong about you?
- What are interesting facts not many people know about you?
- What is the best/the worst of you?
- Can you share your valued quality?
- What do you think to be important in a relationship?
- Which qualities do you think to be important in life?
- What kinds of people do you dislike the most?
Do a quick quiz
“You are such an interesting person. Truthfully, I have prepared a fun quiz to figure out your personal traits. Do you want to try? You can ask me something as well.”
Some might not know but both girls and boys like taking the quiz. Hence, you can know more about your potential partner by giving some fun questions.
Here I recommend the quiz from Goodnet, which is quite true to my trait. You can also try later.
- Are you more head or heart?
- What makes you a good friend?
- Having spaghetti spilled on your white shirt before the meeting, what would you do next?
- What do you love about your friends?
- When you were younger, what did you dream to become?
- What cheers up your day?
- It’s your friend’s birthday, what will you do?
- What do you do, having an entire day to yourself?
- What superpower do you want to have?
In the end, tell him/her the results of the quiz. Moreover, you can also share your results as a way to show your personality.
Sign up for the second date
There are a bunch of good questions to ask on a first date. However, do not ask too much – save some for the second and third dates. Also, try to be a good listener rather than an interviewer.
At the end of the conversation, if she/he cares about you more than the drink, or looks at you more than at the phone, they are signs a girl likes you and that you two can have a second date and more.
Then, grab the chance with nice questions:
- Your favorite actress will have a new film next week, do you want to see it with me? Or, I have bought tickets for Taylor’s show, would you like to go with me?
Save good questions to ask on a first date. And, wish you luck and an enjoyable time with the first date!